Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Wait ..


I walked around the market
Looking for your favourite sweet
Bought a kilo and turned around
To make a hasty retreat

Kneaded the dough with coco
Stuffed it with kiwis and berries
Decorated the cake with lil hearts
And topped it with cherries

The clock struck one
Excited- I smiled
Six hours more and you shall be here
On fingers, I counted like a child

Went around the house singing
The song you gave to me
Feeding the fish with food droplets
In a bowl fish for you to see

Warmed the house with log fire
Lit candles as the sun set down
As their incense wafted through
And made my senses drown

The clock struck seven but no one arrived
I waited on the garden steps
The wax melted and candles burnt out
While I sat alone and wept

The sun came up the very next day
Lighting up the whole street
Out I sprang, away in the crowd
Looking for your favourite sweet

Picked up berries, picked up the dough
Counted all the packets of candles
With one arm wrapped around a new fish bowl
I made my way back in worn out sandals

Thirty seasons these eyes have cried
And woken up to bright sunshine
Thirty seasons have rekindled those candles
Which continued to burn out - without the wine!

2 comments:

  1. A professional poet in the making.
    u've got a real gift !!


    beautiful flow and structure
    keep writing and make me enthralled !

    ReplyDelete
  2. really good dreamy n easy narration...but again sad ending, its been ages since i'v read something funny..
    narration is really gud n easy, very engaging..gr8 wrk

    ReplyDelete